In the October Developer Update, Jeff Kaplan discusses the Overwatch World Cup Viewer, expectations for BlizzCon, and some upcoming Balance Changes to Roadhog, Reaper, Symmetra and Mercy.
If you don’t have enough time to watch the video, here is the TL;DR:
Overwatch World Cup Viewer (BlizzCon)
- Overwatch World Cup Viewer will allow you to watch all of the matches from a spectator point-of-view.
- Ability to move cameras around to different players, different points-of-view, even freeview.
- Top-down icon view showing player positions, ult casting, etc. also included.
- Beta version only available through the Battle.net client (PC only)
- Long-term plan is to allow for this spectator mode to be used fro esports AND personal use.
- Not announcing a new map at BlizzCon
- Buffs for Roadhog, Reaper, Symmetra and Mercy.
- Mercy will receive buff to Valkyrie.
- Improving how hook feels for Roadhog and improved shotgun consistency.
If there’s anything I’m taking from this developer update beyond the usual, is that this almost confirms a hero announcement at BlizzCon. It seems odd that Jeff Kaplan would go out of his way to outline no new map announcement to temper expectations, yet mention nothing about a new hero if none was ready to roll out.
So… are we finally getting the Junker Queen?